Applicant: Ukrainian-Hungarian Regional Development Centre
Partner: Szabolcs-Szatmar-Bereg County Village Tourist Association
- Szatmár Folk Dance and Folk Art Association
- Zakarpattia branch of the Ukrainian National Union of Folk Arts and Crafts
General objective of the project: The overall objective of the project is to return local folk-arts and handicrafts their role as an important part of cultural and economic life in the region by means of advertising them among tourists and visitors, as well as establishing tight cooperation links and experience exchange between Hungarian and Ukrainian handicraftsmen.
Target group: Local handicraftsmen: these are people who directly preserve, develop and transmit to further generations the unique techniques and skills in handicrafts. These groups include the experts in platting, smith craft, pottery, needlework, woodcarving, cooperage, painting, cooking, making of traditional souvenirs and other handicrafts. This target group numbers near 500 person from the border regions of Ukraine and Hungary; Visitors of the region: this target group is another important customer of the handicraftsmen’s work (except the local population, of course). Awareness of this group about the local handicrafts and their purchasing activity are important factors in preserving and further development of this branch. The target group numbers approximately 500 000 people a year; Local authorities: This target group numbers approximately 30 local authorities and 70 local self-government units from both sides of the border.
Specific activities during the project:
- Information collection and holding of a comprehensive analytical study of the local handicrafts in the target region
- Organization of a local folk-art and handicraft fair in Zakarpatska oblast (Ukraine)
- Co-organization of a local folk-art and handicrafts fair in Penyige (Hungary)
- Experience exchange trip to Hungary of Ukrainian handicraftsmen
- Experience exchange trip to Ukraine of Hungarian handicraftsmen
- Publication of handbook about local handicrafts
- Providing informational and consultancy services to handicraftsmen
- Promotion and visibility actions.